!!!WELCOME TO ISLANDKYNKS BLOG FEATURE!!!
Our next guest is truly lives up to her blog name, Ms. Elegantly Natural, Not only does this amazing Mom of 3, takes care of her natural hair and theirs, but also keeps up to date with various social medias and is a Blogger!!!
Here is her Natural Hair Story, do enjoy my dears:
1) Please introduce your amazing self. A: My Name is Marita D. Hills also known as ‘MrsElegantlyNatural’ on social media and I’m a Happily married woman and mother of 3 currently living in Cleveland, OH. I’m simply sharing my world, my journeys, my interests and more with the world through my natural hair journey blog,personal lifestyle blog and my other social networks such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and more!
2) Did you Transition, Big Chop, Both or Natural from Birth? A: I transitioned for 6 months before I decided to do my big chop. Money was tight so I was cutting back on buying relaxers at the time and I was curious to see what my texture looked like. After about 3 months I was ready to change my mind because the two textures was hard to take care of , so after some YouTube research I decided to do the big chop and start fresh.
3) How long have you been natural? A: It has now been 3 years since I did my first big chop on December 1st 2011, Although I only celebrate my natural hair anniversary on new years day since this was when i went out into public for the first time after my big chop but I still count December as apart of my journey.
4) What made you return natural? A: At first it was because of my financial situation at the time so I was forced to transition but during that time when it had got really hard to care for my natural texture and the permed ends I knew that I had to make a choice and that was either go back to the relaxers or cut my hair. So after some hardcore researching online and YouTube video marathons I was finally motivated to do the ‘big chop’ and start from scratch. At that point it was more of a healthy new start because I had a lot of health issues as well and I felt like I was eliminating one harsh chemical out of my body at a time.
5) How hard or easy was your first year of being natural? A: My first year was a challenge and hard because I struggled with figuring out new hairstyles, especially on my very short TWA thick hair. I had so many hairstyle and product fails it was just insane! I had to get rid of everything I used on my relaxed hair and completely start over product and tool wise, so it was goodbye cotton pillow case and hello satin bonnet lol.
6) What helped you the most, to remain natural? A: I Thank God for YouTube and Facebook groups at the time because I needed the inspiration and I also had the support from my husband so that was a plus. Also connecting with others who were new to being natural or even those who have been where I was before really helped me know that it will get better and overtime I was in love with my hair so much that when I did happen to run into a problem it wouldn’t bother me as much.
7) Your 3 favorite products and why? A:
- Tresemme Naturals Conditioner – This comes in a huge bottle and perfect for when I´m on a budget, it also gives me that slip I need during detangling.
- Coconut Oil – I know this isn’t a product but its a must have in my hair care regimen, especially for hot oil treatments, deep conditioning and pre-poos since it penetrates deep into the hair shaft offering many benefits for all hair types.
- Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment – This all in one conditioner is not only good for regular use but also a great mild protein treatment, it is perfect for those who are trying to prevent breakage and have protein sensitivity because you can use this often without worrying about over treating your hair or it feeling hard afterwards.
8) What do you love about your unique tresses? A: I love how versatile my hair can be and the thickness of my hair is the best part especially when I wear Twist-Outs and Bantu Knot Outs.
9) What is your least favorite task when dealing with your natural hair? A: Detangling is the part I dread the most, and the longer it gets the more I have to section it and really get in there but when all is said and done I am glad that I made it happen because it makes the rest of the wash day go very smoothly.
10) How do you inspire other girls to return natural? A: Embracing your natural hair and beauty is true confidence in yourself and when loving yourself from head to toe shows then that alone is true beauty…. It’s not easy and its not perfect but the choice to go natural is definitely worth it. So I encourage women of all ages to at least give it a real try and don’t let what people say or may think get in the way.
11) So far in your journey, what is your favorite hair style?
A: I love Bantu Knot-Outs and Twist Outs! This style can set overnight (or two haha) when im short on time and have a textured & stretched hairstyle that as it gets older it gets bigger and better. I can wear this for up to 4-5 days max depending on my activity level for that week or if the baby gets food in my hair lol.
Big Chop Beauty
Natural Beauty – Styles Galore
Natural Beauty – Length Check
Words of Wisdom For Us:
* My Message To You *
Always remember that you´re Beautiful, Unique and Powerful in your own way! So when you embark on a new journey its yours and yours alone, which mean that YOU MAKE THE RULES so go into it with a positive attitude, open mind and know what’s good for YOU at all times! No matter if you’re going natural, seeking higher education, on a weight loss journey, healthy living journey, thinking about a change for the good or just exploring new things in your life… I wish you the best, now lets enjoy this day because tomorrow isn’t promised!
😀 Very inspirational post for us all, shows us that return natural, not only do we strive for healthy hair but a healthy body also 😀
Would you like to know more information about our Supermom Naturalista, then then on to her Blog: MrsElegantlyNatural
❤ Thank you My Girls for reading , many thank yous to Ms. Marita for participating & You All Have Fun ❤