Hello My Dears,
Hope all is well. On Saturday, July 30th 2016 was the First Natural Hair Meetup on Roatan and the Turn out was really great.
Was given the privilege to participate so wanted to share my points with all my Viewers:
IslandKynks – Returning Natural – July 30th 2016 – 4.00PM
- Girls who want to return to their Natural Hair but do not want to cut off all their relaxed hair. You will be dealing with 2 different textures, requires a lot of work but completely possible. 2 hair care maintenance programs will be needed, One is to maintain your relaxed ends and Two is take care of your new growth. Take as much time as you need, your Choice, do not rush it.
- The weakest point of your hair is known as the Line of Demarcation, this is the line where your natural hair and relaxed hair meets. TLC needed for both hair types while you are transitioning. While you will be able to still comb your relaxed hair, your natural hair will be more difficult depending on your own unique hair texture, this will increase your time to style your hair to your liking.
- Hair Care Maintenance: a) deep condition natural hair as she continues to grow out b) apply a moisturizer c) seal with your favorite oil, this process will help your new growth to strive and remain healthy as you transition. At this time, while you are transitioning, best to not apply any heat at all to your new hair growth, as this will cause damage, maintain your relaxed ends by your hair care means.
- Girls who cut all their relaxed hair off to start from the beginning. NO, you will not look like a boy! Before making this decision, think, do your research, look at other girls who have done the BC, videos, pics. Ones who take this decision can feel 2 ways, either, excited, free and delighted, or shocked, not happy, disappointed. Think and take your time, this is a huge decision so think well.
- When you BC, your hair care maintenance, depending on how much hair you have, 1”, 6”, 12” will be easy or will be hard. The shorter the hair, easier will be to take care off, the longer she is, the more work is needed. Trust me! Make sure to enjoy your journey.
- If your hair is short, gives time to truly do a wash and go, you wash, deep condition, apply your moisturizer, seal with your favorite oil and out you go, simple is always best. Your hair texture is your DNA, be proud of her, she is yours! So Rock Your Tresses!!!
- If your hair is lengthier, you will have to learn which products work best to maintain your hair healthy and beautiful. Keep it simple and incorporate protective styles (2 strand twists, braids, flat twists using your own hair). Remember natural hair loves to be left alone.
- First and foremost, you must learn to love your own unique tresses, your hair Beautiful because it’s yours. You returned natural because you choose to do so. To remain on your natural hair journey, so you have to love what grows on your head, become your own Natural Hair Guru, do what works for your hair and you both will benefit. Once you are on your hair journey, Enjoy it!
- You are on a journey; this is not a race to see who finishes first. You took this decision because wanted following a) healthier option b) a change c) tired of getting relaxers d) tired of hair falling out and nothing is working. Enjoy whichever hair length you are at now, easier said than done. Rome was not built in a day, Patience is key. Take your time to learn about your own hair texture.
- Please Do Not Obsess about long hair. The best you can do is maintain a healthy hair regimen and care about the health of your hair, if you do that, your hair will strive, be healthy and continue to grow. The best one who will take care of your hair (apart from Mama or Abuela) is yourself, learn your hair needs and give her what she needs, benefits will be for both. You can do this dear, one day at a time.
TIPS FOR HAIR GROWTH
- Best moisturizer on Earth for your tresses is Water, make it your # 1 Hair Moisturizer, hair needs water to thrive just like plants.
- Always make sure that your moisturizing product has Water as the first or second ingredient listed on the back, always check.
- After applying your moisturizing product, proceed to seal or lock in the moisture with your favorite Hair Oil or Hair Butter.
- Living the Tropics or Warmer Climates, heat dries out our hair considerably, make your own Hair Spritz to refresh your tresses.
- Do a DIY deep conditioner, if your hair is: short, bi-weekly, medium, once a week, longer, twice a week. Strengthens your hair.
- Every now and then, give your hair a nice well deserved treatment, Hot Oil, Tea Rinses, Protein Treatments, DIY Hair Treatment.
- LOC or LCO Method works well for all textures, especially kinkier ones. L – Liquid; C – Cream; O – Oil. Great method, do try.
- Eating healthier is of course excellent for your body and hair and increasing your water intake works beautifully, so drink up.
- Ask your Moms, Grandmothers, Aunts, what was used in the Olden Days for Hair Growth, Wisdom is in Age, they know it all.
GREAT HAIR PRODUCTS FOR TRESSES ON ROATAN, AMAZON & EBAY
- Coconut Oil is excellent, made on the Island, prevents hair breakage, split ends, contributing to hair length, health and shine.
- Olive Oil is the 2nd best oil for your hair, adds strength, manageability, makes hair softer and adds more sheen. Can add to products.
- Hibiscus Leaves & Flowers Hair Oil, promotes hair growth, thicker hair, treats dry, itchy scalp and combats hair loss.
- Aloe Vera Gel from the plant itself, acts as a great conditioner, leaves hair smooth and shiny, reduces dandruff and conditions.
- Batana, known for many moons to promote hair growth and health, is made naturally on the Mainland and sold in stores worldwide.
Found at Local Supermarkets or Hair Stores on ROATAN & Local Supermarkets Worldwide
- Moisturizing Conditioners: Tresemme Moisture Rich, Aussie Moist, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration – $7.00.
- Co-Wash Conditioners: VO5 Moisturizing or Clarifying Conditioners, White Rain Moisturizing Conditioner – $3.00.
- Hair Creams: Miracle’s Curl Care Soft Hold Crème, Cantu Repair Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream – $11.00.
- Hair Pomades: Kids Organics Soft Hold Styling Pomade and Hairdress – $7.00.
- Hair Oils: Africa’s Best Organics – Olive & Clove Oil Therapy, Africa’s Best Ultimate Herbal Oil – $5.00
Thanks for reading my Dears, Hope you liked the Review & Stay Tuned for Part 2.
If you have any questions at all, do feel free to ask and will answer in comments.
Isle of Azure